Did you find this content useful? If so, please share!
State Inspections & Auto Emissions Tests
Come to Mr. Tire, Tread Quarters, or Autotire the next time your vehicle needs its state motor vehicle safety inspection or auto emissions test.* Our many locations and convenient hours make it easy for you to keep your car up to date.
- Many of our customers combine their state inspection with an Oil Change or other scheduled maintenance.
- If you make an appointment for a state inspection and/or auto emissions test only, we recommend that you check your vehicle’s basic safety equipment beforehand. You can avoid a reinspection fee by correcting easy-to-spot problems, such as a burned out bulb, ripped or worn wiper blades, cracked windshield, bald tires, or check engine light. See our State Inspection FAQ.
- The motor vehicle inspection usually includes head and tail lights, turn signals and warning lights, mirrors, windshield, seat belts, wiper blades and other safety equipment; tires; brakes; steering and suspension. See our State Inspection FAQ.
- With the introduction of onboard diagnostics, most auto emissions tests examine the data from your vehicle’s onboard computer, but can include a tailpipe exhaust test, or both. Emissions testing helps states reduce air pollution and comply with the federal Clean Air Act. Most vehicles with diesel engines are exempt. See our State Inspection FAQ.
- Be sure to bring your driver’s license, vehicle registration card, and certificate of auto insurance to your appointment.
- For more information about the inspection regulations and fees in your state, call Mr. Tire at 1-866-MY-MRTIRE (1-866-696-7847), Tread Quarters at 1-877-8-TREADS (1-877-887-3237), or Autotire at 1-866-725-TIRE (1-866-725-8473). Follow the prompts and you will be connected directly to the store that you select.
- We can remind you when you are due for a State Inspection or Auto Emissions test via your smart phone. Download the Mr. Tire mobile app today!
- Schedule an online appointment today for a state inspection and/or auto emissions test. We offer extended daytime, evening, and weekend hours for your convenience.
State inspections ensure that your car or truck is safe, performs better, and saves you money on fuel and repair costs. Ask the manager of your Mr. Tire, Tread Quarters, or Autotire manager about a preventative maintenance program for your vehicle.
State Inspection Requirements*
*Information provided only for states where Mr. Tire, Tread Quarters and Autotire have auto service locations.
**Appointment preferred. Not allowed by law in Virginia. Not all stores offer state inspections. Please check with the store when you schedule your appointment to confirm.
1Delaware vehicle owners have the option to register their vehicles up to five years, depending on model year. New vehicles may only be required to have vehicle identification number (VIN) verification. Inspections are conducted at state run stations.
2Illinois tests vehicles four years and older registered in specific urban ZIP codes, including the Chicago and St. Louis areas.
3Indiana tests vehicles four years and older in Clark, Floyd, Lake and Porter counties (near Louisville and Gary).
4Maryland exempts vehicles that are model year 1976 or older and vehicles that are newer than two years, diesel, electric, and certain hybrids.
5Missouri exempts new vehicles from safety inspections for five years. Vehicles may be registered for one or two years. An auto emission test is required for vehicles registered in the City of St. Louis and St. Charles, St. Louis, Franklin, and Jefferson counties. Certain diesel, alternate-power, older, and low-mileage vehicles are exempt.
6New Jersey tests auto emissions on vehicles five model years and older. Diesels 1998 and older are exempt.
7 New York exempts from state emissions inspections: diesels weighing 8,500 pounds or less (maximum gross weight), gas-powered vehicles less than two model years old, and gas-powered vehicles more than 25 model years old.
8New Carolina exempts from the auto emissions test, new vehicles, vehicles on the first or second registration, hybrid-electric vehicles less than five years old, alternate fuel vehicles, and vehicles 35 years or older.
9Ohio tests auto emissions on vehicles older than four years and registered in Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, and Summit counties. Vehicles older than 25 years are exempt.
10Pennsylvania tests auto emissions on vehicles 1975 and newer, driven more than 5,000 miles in the previous year, and registered in specified counties in the Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, northern, and south central region.
11Virginia tests auto emissions on vehicles garaged in the cities of Alexandria (city/count), Fairfax (city/county), Falls Church (county), Manassas (city), and Manassas Park (city), and Prince William and Stafford counties. Vehicles 25 years or older are exempt, as are vehicles registered for the first time in Virginia from valid emissions certificates from certain states, diesels older than 1996, certain clean fuel vehicles, and qualified hybrids.
See why over 22,000 Mr. Tire customers gave us an 'A' rating in our Customer Satisfaction survey results!